Unrest in South Africa, triggered by the sentencing of former president, Jacob Zuma, has intensified, amid calls for calm from senior officials.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has described the deadly violence and protests as unprecedented in the 27 years since the end of the apartheid regime.
The death toll from nearly a week of unrest has risen to 45, some from gunshot wounds, while 750 people have been arrested.
Ten people were killed during a crowd crush on Monday night, officials said.
Separately, a 15-year-old boy was killed when he was shot in the chest with a rubber bullet while 4 police officers have been injured.
“We are confident our law enforcement agencies are able to do their job successfully. The current situation on the ground is under strong surveillance and we will ensure it will not deteriorate further,” the police minister Bheki Cele told reporters.
The unrest has so far been limited to the country’s two most densely populated provinces: Gauteng, where Johannesburg, the largest city and economic powerhouse is located; and KwaZulu-Natal, Zuma’s home province.